Typically in a hybrid cloud implementation CIOs have the below concerns:
- I don’t have a compatible vSphere version
- My network architecture is different from Cloud Services Provider’s network
- My applications have a lot of complex dependencies and they interact with various other entities in my DCs like storage/DB Solutions, DMZs, security solutions and platform applications
- They have created their own governance and control and they are concerned if they will be able to do the same in a Cloud environment.
Is there a way they can get away from these complexities and find an easy way out ? These are the concerns which can be easily taken care by HCX. Below are some of the very important use cases of HCX .
- Extending to the Cloud : when you want to extend your application may be because of the requirement of additional storage or compute. This can be a short term requirement or even long term in case you have hard fresh refresh due.
- Disaster Recovery : Typically customer wants to have the shortest possible RTO and RPO for the on-premise DR site. This can be easily achieved if you have a vmware virtualised infra.
- Modernize on-premises DC : If you are planning to move entire DC to the cloud HCX can help you to migrate 100s of apps with just a single reboot and no change to the OS or application.
IBM Cloud provides the foundation to extend on-premise workload seamlessly and with minimum efforts required. HCX enables this by extending on-premises network in to the cloud through an optimised software defined WAN. VMware workloads can be moved to IBM Cloud from on-premise without any modifications required and without any downtime.
HCX establish a secure WAN optimised hybrid interconnect which sits between cloud and on-premise environment.
Below is the architecture of the implementation :
Hybridity Services : It has two parts. Target side and Source side. Target site is IBM Cloud DC and source site is on-premises deployment.
Product : VMware HCX.
Cloud Management : A centralized platform for managing the entire software-defined datacenter.
Virtualization Admin : Responsible for maintaining the cloud services and environment.
Here is a step by step explanation of what needs to be done to use HCX
Step 1: VMware HCX is deployed in the cloud instance in an IBM Cloud DC
Step 2: HCX is deployed on-premises
Step 3: Virtualization administrator uses the HCX user interface in vCenter to establish the network connection
Step 4: The two HCX deployments establish a software defined WAN connection to extend the on-premises layer 2 network to the cloud instance.
Step 5: Virtualization administrator uses the standard vSphere user interface to initiate migration of on-premises workload to the target site in the cloud.
Step 6: HCX uses WAN optimization to efficiently migrate the workload to the target site, maintaining the current workload IP configuration
If you want to read more about the Solution architecture click here