From my childhood I have always wondered what should I do with the constant rumblings which keep happening in my mind. How to control it ? And I have figured out that these rumblings are actually common to many people and it works differently for different people. Also, these rumblings affect our productivity. Something which is very much essential and almost impossible to measure in Sales. You actually juggle too many things all the time and there is a lot at stake.
So I decided to take a course which was available in my company’s learning portal. And I am glad that I took it. After going through that course I figured out below 7 things which mindful people do differently :
- Approach everyday things with curiosity and savor them : Trust me approaching your job with a long face and lack of interest is the saddest most cruel thing which you can do to yourself. Steve Jobs once said that your work is going to take the maximum amount of your lifespan, so it’s very important you do what you love. I say to be productive you also love what you do. There are few fortunate ones who know what they love and very few fortunate people who get to do what they love. So if you are not one among them, it’s important that you love what you do. And one for that you remain curious about what you do.
You can remain curious for what you don’t know, remain curious to improve things, remain curious to innovate, remain curious to create some best practices. Whatever it takes just approach what you do with curiosity and learn to savor it.
- Forgive mistakes big and small : We often confuse forgiving with forgetting. Forgiving is not forgetting, it just means not carrying the bitterness in your heart. And to do away that bitterness you take whatever action is required. Just ensure you develop wisdom to act in a manner which you won’t regret later. I practice this by talking to my mentors and peers in workplace and with my relatives in my personal lives. Trust me it really helps me to focus on present. It helps me to see things through perspective which I would never have thought.
Forgetting on the other hand means poor memory. That’s not a virtue. The sweetest and bitterest moments of your life you should never forget.
- Show gratitude for good moments and grace for the bad ones : I bet you can’t do it if you have something else going in your mind all the time and you have some negative emotions like anxiety, stress etc. It takes practice to be in present and appreciate the moment.
- Practice compassion and nurture connections : To nurture connection you have to make new ones. We need to get out of that shell, that office cubicle which we get very comfortable with and interrupt people to know them. Creating a connection is tough and nurturing it is tougher. I have been an introvert and I find very difficult to initiate a conversation. But when it comes to some help I am very good at breaking the ice and interrupting people.
This happens when I meet someone who has something very interesting to tell me and which is relevant to me. So the thumb rule is the more things and the type of things you are interested in, the more and better your connections will be. So it goes back to point no. 1 of being curious.
- Make peace with imperfections both yours and others: I see so many people who are better than me in almost everything I do. I have been very uncomfortable of my imperfections and I wanted to hide it at all costs. But not anymore because I have made peace with them by accepting them. I know I can always improve and I will still be lesser than someone.
Similarly, I have seen people shouting at their peers, picking a fight with them and bosses even humiliate their subordinates when they don’t do things as expected. Yes feedback is required and it’s rare to find a person who don’t want to determine from whom and how should he get the feedback. If ever you happen to be at the giving end and if at it’s possible try to make peace with their imperfections. Trust me it’s more to do your peace rather than the other person’s good.
- Embrace vulnerability by trusting others : Trusting others is not very common in corporate world. And by not trusting you can’t survive. You have to have your own trusted sources. But we become very vulnerable when we trust people. And I guess we must still trust because only by doing this we will learn. So don’t be over cautious of whom to trust and whom not to trust. Trust people but at the same time, be prepared for the deceit. With time you will learn how to optimize the damage.
- Accept that things come and go: Come what may, there is nothing which is permanent. Good time bad time, nothing will remain with you forever. Your success and your failures are relative and dependent only on situation. So better not to get swayed by the emotions.
All these are my experiences being a sales person. I fight hard everything which is happening outside and harder with all that happens inside me. But now that I know about mindfulness and how to practice it, it just a matter of time and practice to increase my productivity. What about you ?